Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Dad's Retiring


After 20 years of teaching - molding the young minds of today my dad is calling it quits.  He opened Stapley Jr.High was there through my youngest brothers Matt and Joe, several of his nephews, his grandchildren, now great nieces and countless neighborhood kids.  I can only imagine how many kids were happy to see a familiar face one that they not only see in school but in church and around the neighborhood.  I am going to miss getting a daily e-mail from my father, a little tradition we started a couple years ago when I needed to get a hold of him, I am just sad we didn't start sooner and I am really sad that I will only get 4 more messages from dagoodman@mps.com.

We knocked around the idea of a party but as it took shape it became a surprise party and as Gomer Pyle would say it was a "Surprise Surprise Surprise."   All his children, and grand-kids (minus Ryan and  Austin) all his brothers and sister and a few nieces and  nephews crammed into the kitchen to surprise him as he walked  in the back door, it was priceless!  You could tell on his face that he really had no idea, then the festivities began.  I think it was a form of torture keeping all the kids in the house - we couldn't have him drive up and see all the kids out playing he would know something was up, we even parked  different places  - he really had no idea. I think it was better than Christmas, there was more day light for sure for the mean game of wiffle ball played between all the cousins, it was great.  The grown-ups sat on the porch and watched and visited, last night had to be a glimpse of heaven. It was a  fun excuse to get together.  I am so happy for my dad and his next phase of life.
Afton, Rowan, Jay, Friend, Ty, Jack, Raulin

Mcgregor ,Annie, Kate, Keelie, Hadlie, Ella

1 comment:

  1. FUN TIMES...BROUGHT BACK LOTS OF MEMORIES WHEN YOU KIDS WERE LITTLE AND WE GATHERED although we were smaller in #'s ...CONGRATES TO YOUR DAD AND YOU KIDS...GOOD JOB!!

    ReplyDelete