Monday, May 28, 2012

Groom Creek

What a wonderful wonderful weekend, I couldn't ask for more.  Friday we had Grandma Goodman's funeral and although I am sad for me I am sure,  as was stated several times, she is dancing in heaven with grandpa.  I learned a few things about grandma but my favorite story was from Uncle Jim  about  the one and only time he saw grandma ride a horse.  Now I knew she grew up in a farming family  (she was also the pool hall owners daughter - didn't know that) and I am sure she had to learn to ride but she was always so put together and always looked so nice I could never see her on a horse . Jim says he was out riding and grandma and grandpa pull up in the truck  and grandma says she wants to ride, Jim got off the horse and grandma got on, then Jim says grandma took off, not walking it, not even a trot, but a full on gallop, reared the horse up with his front feet pawing in the air, turned him around galloped back, hopped off  gave a little smile and never said a word.  I love it, there was  so much about grandma I did not know.

Saturday we took off to the Prescott cabin in Groom Creek.  We hadn't been up in several years and I missed it.  Prescott is such a fun town, we walked around the court yard, bought some earrings and kettle corn popcorn.  When we drove up Mt. Vernon where all the Victorian style houses we discussed what house we would want to have.  We swung on the big swing, played in the meadow, had some mean games of wiffle ball, drove up to the old gold mine and explored, watched Jungle Book and Cinderella , read, visited and just enjoyed the beauty of the mountains.

The Platts live in Prescott Valley about 20 minutes away so they drove up on Sunday and hung with us.  We played a game of kick ball and my foot is bearing the scars.  Girls vs. Boys - the girls lost but we had fun.  Karrie, Jeremy, Loren and I went back to cabin and the kids started another game, well I guess some "big" kids started playing along and words were exchanged.  This is what happened  as told by Ty, Jake, Wyatt and Kyley...
  • Well, those big kids didn't know how to play wiffle ball, they were saying that if you catch a foul ball in the air its not an out and they were trying to tell us if you swing and foul and the ball hits you then you get a base, then the worse of all  they were throwing fast balls to Hannah (6 year old).  Well the "big" kids called Jake an a**hole and started cussing so Wyatt steps in and says "you all need a bath 'cause you all stink.. at wiffle ball."  I guess they run to tell Kyley about it and those boys are glaring at them across the meadow so Kyley turns to them and waves with a cheesy smile and the "big" boys flipped them off.  So Ty raises his index finger and Kyley starts yelling "we're number one."  The big boys gasped and that was then end of it.  We heard the kids coming into the cabin discussing if they were going to tell us about it.  They didn't immediately but when I asked them a couple hours later they got all animated I  wish I could have recorded their telling because this does not do the story as told by Ty, Wyatt, Kyley and Jake justice.
 Good times good times.. I am glad they dealt with it on their own and they stood up for themselves and each other.  I wish they weren't exposed to cuss words and punk kids but we are all going to and it is stuff like this that binds the cousins, they will be talking about his incident for years and I am sure it will get bigger  and better each year.

We took off early Monday since Kyley has three finals tomorrow and Taylor has one, yes we have two more days of school.  It was a great weekend and I hope to make it back to Groom Creek often. We stopped at Freddy's burgers when we got into Gilbert and they were doing a fundraiser to help the WWII veterans since it is Memorial Day and all.  We got our food and Loren noticed a WWII vet wearing a Iwo Jima hat and he went over to talk to him since his grandpa Chesly's was on Iwo Jima.  The vet came over and visited with us and our children and I got a little teary as I thanked him and for his service to our great country, I hope my children know how lucky we are to live her and the cost many have paid to keep us free.  God Bless  America.   

4 comments:

  1. As I was reading this I was LOL'ing, and Hannah asked what was so funny, so I told her I was reading about how those boys were mean to you when you were playing whiffleball. She got all bent out of shape because it is NOT funny. I beg to differ. I think it was quite hilarious. It was a great time on Sunday. Thanks for letting us hang with the awesome Chesley's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like fun. The story of the means kids will get talked about lots. love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story...love the index finger and "we're #1." How clever are they??

    ReplyDelete