Saturday, May 19, 2012

Grandma Goodman

My Grandma Rita Allred Goodman passed  away last night - she was 94.  She lost her husband my grandpa just10 months ago.  They were both retired teachers and grandpa passed away the first week of this school year and then grandma goes the last week of this school year, I told my dad that they should know better since they were both teachers and know how busy those weeks are :)  I think I get through grief with humor.  I am just sad I didn't get to see her one more time but I am sure the reunion with grandpa was sweet, I bet those last 10 months seemed like eternity when you have been married 72 years.  It is comforting to know that they now have eternity together and they will never be separated again. 


Grandma was a school teacher, she retired  when I was little and she gave our family much of her 1st grade materials.  I remember spending hours and hours in the summer playing "school" with all her old papers. Kelli and I were the teachers of course and  Dyan, Karrie and Jodi were our students - boy we were good teachers but only because we had tons of worksheets from Grandma Goodman. I come from a line of teachers and  I have always felt a special connection to grandma and grandpa - I can't believe my dad will retire from teaching this year and I am almost done with my 19th year I get to "play school" every day. 

 I remember grandma taking Kelli and I shopping before school one year and she actually bought us a shirt that said "kiss me" on it and whats worse is that we wore it, what were we thinking.  I remember trips to the cabin, I sure it was with Kelli and learning how to play Rook  - boy I thought I was  so good. 


Grandma always had perfectly manicured nails and just a few months ago when I went to visit I commented on them and she said "look at these sun spots"  I said "grandma you are 94 you are allowed sun spots."  I loved looking at her rings when I was little and it seemed for most Christmases Grandpa had bought her a new one. 

Her house was always immaculate, I sure she would be sorely disappointed if she saw the mess my house is right now.  

As I got older I appreciated her spunk - she graduated from college and began a career at a time when it was not the norm for women.  In order to marry grandpa she they had to elope and keep it a secret until the end of the school year because she was a woman.  She raised four children, traveled the world, served  a mission, lived a good life,  I am certain she heard the word when she returned home"well done my good and faithful servant."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Julie this was great. Its weird to think grandma is gone but she did have a sweet reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally catching up on the blogs...thanks for the good post about grandma. It was great seeing you last week, as always, and I am just so happy that we've been able to spend so much more time with each other the past year or so than we have for the several preceding ones. Where did all that time go? Thankfully we always pick up like it was yesterday...I guess that's how best friend cousins are and will forever will be, right? Love ya, Jules!

    ReplyDelete