I just got the news that my grandpa Goodman has passed away. This did not come as a surprise, he was 95 1/2 years and we have been expecting it for a couple weeks now - but it still sucks. He has been in my thoughts a lot lately. It all started about a month ago as I was driving to summer school, I passed an old man in an old light blue chevy truck, the window rolled down, I was pretty sure he was wearing overalls and a ball cap. I smiled at him (I am sure he thought I was wierd) because he reminded me so much of Grandpa Goodman 20 years ago. When you are kids your grandparents are seem so old, then as you age, you realize how truly young they were when you were little. I remember going to Grandpa and Grandma goodman's house off Horne most Sundays, the other counsins were often there and we had mean old games of hide 'n' go seek. They had the best ice, it came out of their refrigerator and was crushed,(huge technology back then) it tasted so much better in the yellow "smile be happy" cups.
I saw him last Monday, although he did not call me "Julie Jump" or pucker his lips and move them back and forth like he was warming up for his kiss, he did smile. I sat down and he said "too far" so I moved closer and talked about things that I remember like...
the time my dad, Jim and Grandpa thought it was a great idea to have us kids turn watermelon vines. We were excited to do it for like 50 cents a row. I think we got 2 rows done then realized what back breaking labor that was and we all called it quits. Grandpa smiled at that one.
Or the time when they took Kelli and I up to their cabin in Pine and we sat in church singing "Til We Meet Again" and Kelli and I were giggling so hard at grandpa singing the low part of ..."'til we meet." To this day I can't sing that song without thinking of him. As we were heading home from that same trip grandpa tells how he did not have an alarm clock and he had to be up by 6:00am so we could get home in time. Grandpa said, "so do you know what I did? I prayed I said Lord I need to be awake by 6:00am so I can... (I don't remember but I am sure it had to do with serving the Lord) and then I slept because I knew I would be awaken on time." What faith - his whole life has been full of faith.
We often got $2 bills for Christmas, he would always say "if you never spend it you will never be broke." To this day I can't spend any $2 bill, it just isn't right.
Grandpa taught school for many years, when I became a teacher he never failed to ask how my classes were and when he was over for beans and bread at my parents house we would "talk shop" for a bit.
Grandpa was the first to pop my toes, we would squirm and squeal as he "milked the piggies" as he called it.
I remember when he left to serve a mission to Chili, I was little but I was so proud of them. Grandpa always loved the temple. I am so grateful that he was able to seal Loren and I. Later in life after I was married with kids I was at the temple for a relief society temple day. Imagine my surprise when grandpa was there because he was to lead that very session. His smile lit up when I walked in and through out the session he would smile and wink at me. He made me feel like I was his favorite grand child that morning.
I wish I had a picture - I will look and add later, I just had to get my thoughts down. When I visited him last Monday I told him I loved him, he said "I know" and smiled. I am sure the reunion he is having right now is sweet and I know one day I will see him again, so really, I am just crying for me as I will miss him.
Beautiful tribute, Julie. Great memories. ILY
ReplyDeletethis was a great tribute. I will miss him too.
ReplyDeleteJules - I have so many of those same fantastic memories! I was just talking with Grandma on Tuesday when we were over visiting about our Rook playing days at the cabin with you. She smiled and said, "Oh, I love my Rook. And so did President Kimball, I hear. But he had to give up his cards when they made him the prophet." Too funny. I, too, smile everytime we sing Til We Meet...what a vivid memory for us. I miss you so much! Can't wait to see you (very soon).
ReplyDelete