Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Gilbert Temple

Yesterday the Gilbert Temple was officially dedicated and all all the events leading up to the dedication which was all we seemed to talk and think about came to an end, now the real work begins.   I never thought I would be a part or see a temple being built in my mist, we have the Mesa Temple and that was so close - 30 minutes in good traffic - but when the presidency announced a Gilbert temple at Greenfield and Pecos and we were living at Greenfield and Queen Creek - 2 miles away I couldn't believe it.  We drove by it regularly, saw when then finally broke ground, saw when the walls started to go up, saw when the Angel Moroni was put up, saw when fencing went around, the plants went in, waiting and waiting waiting while they finished the inside and finally when they announced the open house and dedication.

We waited to visit the open house until Taylor could make it down, the last weekend it was open- February 14th - Happy Valentine's Day.  It was crowded but I didn't care, Taylor was down and we were all together we can visit sitting at home on the couch or waiting in line to see the temple. Kyley had the opportunity to work at the temple the night before and most of my colleagues and students Mormon and non-Mormon had seen it before me and I had heard a lot about it, but the beauty can not be described in words I  had tears in my eyes as I walked into several rooms.  I am looking forward to when Loren and I can go and spend more time in there and make that temple "my temple."
  •  Side- note, Taylor cut her hair, she did not tell us and when she came home bam there she was my short hair little girl I screamed and had a few tears she was home all weekend and I'm still not use to it, I am sure when I see her at Easter it will be a shock again...
 While the finishing touches were being added to the temple the youth was preparing for a culture celebration.  All youth in the Gilbert Temple District  was invited and encouraged (12,000+) to participate   - that means Kyley and Ty.  Now Ty was not too excited at the beginning since the first few practices were singing and really what 13 year old boy gets excited about singing and dancing.  I had to do a bit of  "selling" ...this is a once in a life time opportunity, you will get to sing and dance in front of the prophet and apostle of the Lord, you can tell your children... I guess it worked because I never heard him or Kyley complain once the hard work began.  They met with our ward, then our stake then our region, Wednesday nights for 3 hours, then the week before they spent 14 hours at the park as a dress rehearsal with all 12,000 youth. The regions were broken into color shirts and the theme was "Live True" - Live True to their faith and our region was "light blue" I loved that my children got to participate and I loved being a teacher and listening and talking to all my students that also participated. Perry is located at the edge of 4 districts Gilbert, Chandler, Higley and Queen Creek so we had most shirt colors represented and students participated  in many of the "big" parts and most dances. 


The day of the performance arrived with a 100% chance of rain. It was all anyone could talk about will the show go on?  It was at Discovery Park a retention basin that when it rains it fills up with water, a little rain will be good, the week of the rehearsal it was so dusty many kids had asthma and allergy attacks so a little rain will settle the dust.  Well it rained all right and not just a little, it poured buckets, cats and dogs, now growing up in the desert my dad taught me that we can never complain about rain, so I didn't complain about the rain,  but I did worry about Kyley and Ty out there in the cold wet rain performing for thousands, Thomas S. Monson and Henry B. Eyring to name a few.  The next day we went to the dedication and at the last session the speaker said I want to talk to the youth  - he said something to the effect that many thought their prayers might not have been answered but let me assure you they were, we live in a desert and we were in a drought we needed the rain and the Lord poured out his blessing on you.  Kyley says it was like the wise man and the foolish man, the wise man built his foundation on the rock and when the rains came his house (testimony) stood firm.  The rain held off for as long as it needed too, if it would have started sooner they would have canceled it but it didn't start unit right before the performance.  My kids will always remember performing in the rain, they can do hard things and I hope they will forever keep their eyes on the temple.  I am so thankful for the opportunity the Church continues to provide for my family to grow - I am truly blessed.

I copied Kyley and Ty's post from instagram, Kyley shows how much it was really raining.  I asked then if they would put on their light blue shirts so  I could take a picture and they didn't say anything but their look said it all - (no picture:)

1 comment:

  1. Love this Julie. You and your children are such great examples to me and my kids. Thanks for writing this. I now have an idea for FHE.

    ReplyDelete