Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July

I had pretty low expectations for the 4th this year as we were in town.  It fell on a Wednesday and so no cabin or California for us.  I wondered what we were going to do - well my worries were for nothing.  First we didn't make it to the cabin but the cabin weather came to us.  It was the coolest 4th of July in all my 41 years.  I sat outside at 2:00 in the afternoon and read a book.  It was overcast, we had a good rain, mix that with the cool weather and if you closed your eyes you would swear you were up north.  I did close my eyes to say a prayer of gratitude for this country, our little piece of  land  and my family - I am truly blessed.

Half of my brothers and sisters were out of town so the ones that were my parents invited over to swim at Steve and Cindy's and eat so Dale and his family, Joe and his family, Matt and us celebrated in style.  I hadn't been to Steve and Cindy's pool  in a while it brought back so many good memories of every single summer day spent there.  Loren even told Kyley - "I use to make out with you mom her."  Kyley gave us a face of disgust - ha ha.  Here are our kids and  Durham atop the waterfall, ready to jump in.  Love it!   We headed back to my parents house for some steak and corn on the cob, good conversation and some "Fun Facts" about the 4th of July provided by Joe, Debbie asked the question.. "Fun for Who?"  We laughed, ate, sat outside (again because we could - the weather was so nice.)  We took off early becasue when we headed into "town" we noticed that huge fireworks  were going off by our house and we wanted to beat traffic.  Mission accomplished.

As we got closer, Loren suggested we hook up the boat and go to Perry and watch  - we were all in, since the 'works were close to our house but our trees prevented us from seeing them.  The boat would get us up high enough that we would be able to see them from farther away.  It was perfect!  Yes those are blankets, although I didn't think we needed them ,the kids were "cold" on the 4th of July in Gilbert, Az what in the world.  I  enjoyed hanging with my family guessing the color of the firework before it burst into color, we had to change the rules about that game to the FIRST color since they often changed and heated debates over who was correct ensued.  Since we were so close there was no stress, we headed home and the boys slept in the boat  - I told them this would be the only chance to sleep in the boat this summer, all other nights will be to hot.  I love this country and I love our freedom and I love my family.  Happy 4th!

3 comments:

  1. Love the boat idea. We missed hanging out with you guys. Have fun in Cali and can't wait for camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the Chesley's. That's all I'm gonna say about the boat thing, oh and also that it's really funny. Wish we were there. I love swimming at Steve and Cindy's house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I'm finally just reading this post on August 25th. I am so behind the blogging 8 ball. When you first said you were getting in the boat, I was thinking there was a lake nearby. Too dang funny that you got in the boat to drive to a parking lot. We missed the cool AZ weather since we were in Park City, but I heard all about it.

    We are super excited to camp with you guys in October. You are going to be directly accross from us, so that will be awesome.

    Love ya, Jules!

    ReplyDelete