This is the third or maybe 4th year that the first Monday of Spring Break we head to the desert, Usery Pass to celebrate my moms birthday with the cousins. We simplified the food, donuts, bagels, fruit and chocolate milk so we had more time to visit. We were missing a few Laura's father-in-law is sick sick, Mark and his family were in California and Karrie had just had baby Claire, although my dad did met Jeremy half way and picked up the Platt kids so they made it.
The highlights, dad leading all the kids 11 and under by himself to hike the mountain, when we saw this Dyan and I ran to join the group. We get to the base of the mountain and the dad says he's not hiking due to SK (sore knees) so he left Dyan and I with 14 kids - 5 of them little girls under 3. The girls made it 100 yards up the mountain and got scared, so Dyan and I split, she took the boys to the top and I took the girls back down. Next year, I am not helping this is twice now that dad has left us high and dry I want to see what he will do if no one runs to hike "with" him -just kidding dad, but we are not going to let him forget about it either.
Back from the hike sitting around visiting, Joe ask Kyley what events she runs in track (100, 200, 400 or long jump) which leads to a challenge - Joe vs. Kyley, from this sign to this sign. "RACE" was all the kids needed to hear and they streets were lined with 15 cheering kids, heck even some random seniors on bikes watched. They raced, Joe won, I don't think either one was giving it a 100% but at the end Wyatt was heard telling Kyley "Oh you've been Joed"
![]() |
| Jay, Jake, Ty, Jack, Wyatt |
The boys played ball and ran around except from Durham, who was on crutches we later found out that his sprained foot or ankle was indeed broken, poor kid. (The Goodman's had to leave early and the camera came out late, that is why they aren't in many pictures) The boys showed off their pasty white spring skin, which in a few months will be tan tan tan, look at those muscles.
Taylor and Kyley played with the little girls a bit but mostly visited with the grown ups - I can't believe that they are that old. The weather was glorious, the setting was perfect and the company was so-so just kidding the company was wonderful. I love this Spring Break Kick-off tradition.
![]() |
| Kyley, Annie, Lucy, Hadley, Kate, Keelie - the girls that were "scared" of the hike. |





I know when you said the company was so-so, that was your way of saying it would have been way better if Karrie was there. I am indeed really sad I missed it, but you documented it so well. I love the pictures, especially the one with the scrawny white boys flexing their muscles. OK I love them all. Thanks for taking my kids on Monday. They had a ball! Love ya
ReplyDeleteLooks like an awesome way to kick of spring break!
ReplyDeleteCUTE KIDS, GRANDS AND GRAMPA...WHAT A GREAT WAY TO CELEBRATE THAT CUTE LITTLE OLD (she is younger than me :) GRAMMA'S BD...YOU GUYS ARE JUST CUTE!!!
ReplyDelete