Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Decorating the Tree





It hasn't' felt like Christmas to really anyone but Wyatt, he has had his shopping done since the 1st of December and his list done for months.

But when the tree goes up its Christmas.
I love the smell, the laughter, the trip down memory lane as we hang the ornaments. Taylor said and it is my feelings too," how sad it is when peoples Christmas trees are all matchy matchy." We like the homemade ornaments and the hodge-podge of ornaments we have collected through the years. The highlights include...
  • The angels ornaments with the "real" wings that my mom gave me when my girls were little because they reminded her of them. Taylor and Kyley know which one they are and will hang those first.
  • The handmade ones from when the kids were little, I love seeing how they have grown.
  • The family ornaments where Kyley's name is spelled wrong twice (Kylie, Kylee)
  • The ornaments made for Loren when he was one his mission from his nieces,
  • The twirly one that is everyone's favorite and it's a treat to be the one to hang it up
  • The egg made by Aunt Pat that we use to have two but Taylor Marie broke one now 8 yrs ago and we haven't forgotten.
  • the owl ornament we got when we first moved to this house,
  • the sea turtle we added this year from Hawaii. I love it!
  • I hardly have to do anything and as Taylor said (she is the insightful one) "it was weird to tell Wyatt to put ornaments on the bottom of the tree." So true, my kids are going up so fast but they still have fun hanging the ornaments and the tradition of pretending to sleep by tree is still alive and well. They didn't do a good job pretending, Wyatt is the best the big kids were laughing too hard.

2 comments:

  1. I love the sentimental trees that have personality. Ours is decorated in bunches. One kid would put up an ornament in, I guess, the best spot, and all the rest would follow with the same branch. I haven't moved any (unless it was two glass ornaments in danger of breaking one another) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having my kids decorate the tree because then I have an excuse as to why it looks so bad. I love your traditions.

    ReplyDelete