I have a love/hate relationship with my kids and sports. Right now Ty is playing tackle football and Kyley is playing softball. I hate it when they are on a losing team, I hate that I can't be at two places at once and I have to chose what game to watch. I hate watching Ty as he practice in full pads in 100+ heat. I hate watching them beat themselves up when they miss a play or tackle, like it is the end of the world. I hate that Ty is on a new team that is in the rebuilding process and as I explained to Ty at any level even in the pros when you rebuild you usually suck, stick to it and success will come (I hope) Current record 0-3 but last game we only lost by 5 touchdowns and we made several first downs so we are improving, maybe we will score next week.
I love watching them learn to pick themselves up and go on to make a good play in the next minutes. I love seeing the discipline and the team work that sports teaching them. (side note - Ty has a young kid on his team that is playing on his team because of his weight 9yr close to 120 pounds. He is always the last to finish in any drill. The last "gassers" of the night are the worst. Ty finishes his and then goes back out and runs with Nick, sometimes pushing him to finish sometimes just running with him. The coach yelled the first practice "We are a team, a family get out there and help the last one in" Ty took it to heart and started helping Nick. A few others on his team help Nick too but maybe only 4 out of 25 will go the extra mile to help Nick finish his drills, I am proud that Ty is one of them )
What I love the most is the one on one time I get with my kids as I drive them to practices and games. We get many minutes of time to talk about whatever. I love when my other children go and support their brother and sisters and I love it when then win. (It hasn't happened so far this football season, but it is still early)
Taylor didn't get the memo that it was a smiling picture

Taylor's always out of the loop. I love all the lessons that playing sports teaches us. So many people that didn't grow up playing can't see that and only see is as a waste of time. I almost cried when I heard that Ty is the kid that goes back to help the slowpoke. Those are my favorite kinds of athletes.
ReplyDelete